When it comes to anti-aging, people are often left wondering what ingredients people should be looking for. Labels are often filled with scary-sounding names with such words as oxides and acids, and it can often be difficult to decipher the true contents of these products. I recently came across an article that interviewed a well-respected dermatologist, Dr. Sam Bunting, about her foolproof fan for understanding the ins and outs of ingredients. She selected eight ingredients that work well.
1. Zinc Oxide: According to Bunting, this is the best sunscreen ingredient for providing protection against the long-wavelength UVA rays that ravage our collagen and contribute to hyperpigmentation. Now that this is available in a micronized format, it won’t have to cause a grey-ish finish on the skin any more!
2. Niacinamide: This ingredient is well-tolerated, and can even increase tolerability of more irritating ingredients, such as retinoids. It also helps reduce hyperpigmentation and inflammation typically associated with aging.
3. Retinoids: This is the most-substantiated of all the anti-aging ingredients. According to Bunting, you should absolutely be using it unless you’re pregnant or suffering from rosacea. It improves fine lines, texture, tone and pore quality.
4. Glycolic Acid: Chemical exfoliation delivers more precise and controlled improvements in skin texture and tone, as well as improved penetration of other skincare “actives”.
5. Salicylic Acid: An excellent choice of chemical exfoliant for those with oily/combination skin, with anti-inflammatory properties. It exfoliates, therefore increasing cell turnover and getting into pores to keep them clear and unclogged.
6. Kojic Acid: A great ingredient for targeting hyperpigmentation, that works well in combination with AHAs.
7. Ascorbic Acid: Vitamin C is essential for healthy functioning collagen, meaning that properly formulated and appropriately packaged vitamin C is a great investment.
8. Azelaic Acid: A great ingredient for anybody prone to redness that wants to tackle pore clarity and exfoliate without irritation.